Πτυχίο Τμήματος Θεάτρου (Ptychio Tmimatos Theatrou)
Level of Qualification
Integrated Master (1st and 2nd Cycle)
Specific Admission Requirements
Upper secondary degree-national level examination
The programme of studies at the School of Drama seeks to bridge the gap between theory, scholarship and practice, placing equal emphasis on theatre theory and history and on stage training in order to provide students with background education as well as professional skills.
During the first years of study, students have to pass a number of Core course requirements, related to the historical and theoretical study of theatre, dramaturgy and performance theory, and theatre in education (27 courses). In addition, there is a foreign language requirement (4 courses).
In the next phase, students work towards specializing in one of four majors:
- Dramaturgy and Performance Theory
- Stage Design
- Stage Directing
All majors require the successful completion of 27 Required Elective courses and of 5 Free Elective courses. The Stage-directing programme requires the successful completion of 4 elective courses.
In addition, students are required to submit a Diploma Thesis which consists of (a) a written thesis or a theatre production or a stage design project, depending on the direction chosen by the student and (b) a 45 minute lecture on a subject of the student’s choice.
All graduates acquire basic theoretical knowledge and skills in the field of Theatre History and Theory. Moreover, all graduates acquire Theatre in Education skills: ability to design and implement educational programmes for primary and secondary education students.
In addition to the above, and depending on the courses and the type of diploma thesis chosen, students acquire the following skills:
- Theoretical training, critical thinking and writing in the field of History and Theory of Theatre
- Skills pertaining to the artistic work of the Actor: conception and implementation of an artistic project
- Skills pertaining to the artistic work of the Stage Designer: conception and implementation of an artistic project
- Skills pertaining to the artistic work of the Stage Director: conception and implementation of an artistic project
All graduates have the knowlege, capacity and skills to work in Education, both Primary and Secondary, as theatre in education and theatre studies tutors.
In addition, depending on the courses and the diploma thesis they have chosen, graduates have the knowledge, capacities and skills to work:
- In the field of academic teaching and research
- In the artistic professions of the Stage: Actors, Stage designers, Costume Designers, Stage Directors, Lighting Designers
- In the technical professions of the Stage: Producers, Stage Technicians, Theatre Props and Accessories Constructors etc.
- As administrators of state, municipal and private theater organizations (dramaturgs, playbill curators, theater managers and moderators of educational programs etc).
- As animateurs in various cultural centres
- In Mass Media (theatre journalists, theatre critics)
A full academic year is equivalent to 60 ECTS units and each semester to 30 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) (1 ECTS=25-30 hours). Compliance with the ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) regulations started in 2007, when the Greek Legislation was harmonized with the relevant European one (Ministerial Decision no Φ5/89656/β3, art. 1-3, Hellenic Government Gazette no 1466/2007/B). Each course is credited with a number of ECTS(>=2) according to the studentworkload (contact hours, laboratory work, examination etc) and accumulation of credits (ECTS) is accomplished after successful completion of the course.
To graduate from the School of Drama, students have to attend and successfully complete 63 courses and a diploma thesis summing up to 300 ECTS. Studies in the School of Drama comprise 10 semesters (2 semesters per year) and the student total work load for each academic year is 60 ECTS (30 ECTS for each semester).
Theatre studies: 21 courses x 4,5 = 94,5 ECTS
Theatre in education: 6 courses x 4,5 = 27 ECTS
Foreign language (ΞΓ) 4 courses x 3= 12 ECTS
Required Elective Courses
Major 22 courses x 4,5 = 99 ECTS
Supplement (from other directions): 5 courses x 4,5=22.5 ECTS
Free Choice Classes
Free Choice: 5 courses x 3 = 15 ECTS
Dissertation or artistic production = 20 ECTS
Lecture = 10 ECTS
Total Diploma Thesis = 30 ECTS
Grand Total 300 ECTS
The qualification is a terminal award and allows access to postgraduate studies.
A scale of 1 to 10 applies to the marks of each subject in the Hellenic Higher Education.
Άριστα (Arista) Excellent: 8.50-10.00
Λίαν Καλώς (Lian Kalos) Very Good : 6.50- 8.49
Καλώς (Kalos) Good : 5.00-6.49
Ανεπιτυχώς (Anepitychos) Fail: 0.00-4.99
Minimum passing grade : 5
10 SEMESTERS. 300 ECTS.